Friday, November 28, 2008

Maple Cornbread Muffins

I knew there would be plenty of rolls at the Thanksgiving table, so I decided to bring a second bread option. This recipe is very flexible and you can use your choice of flour, milk, and margarine. The sweet maple taste intertwined beautifully with the cornbread flavor. These muffins were extremely moist and had just the right texture. They would be perfect for little mini turkey sandwiches when you are eating leftovers the next couple of days! How do you all use the leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner? Any special recipes out there?
Maple Cornbread Muffins
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup rice milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons margarine, melted (I used Earth Balance)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Stir in the applesauce, rice milk, and maple syrup.
Slowly add the melted margarine while stirring.
Pour the mixture into greased or paper cup lined muffin pan.
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Get daily e-mail updates from Megan's Munchies. Subscribe here!

15 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

These sound awesome! I am trying them today! Did the recipe make 12 muffins?

With some of my leftover mashed potatoes, I plan on making some "baked potato soup" and topping it with reduced fat cheese and bacon bits.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SCRUMPTIOUS cornbread muffins!!

Megan, I gotta tell ya - every time I go to your blog, it causes my internet to crash; and then I have to restart my computer and reload everything :-( Do you have a LOT of graphics or something added to your blog??

Reeni said...

Yum! I would of loved to have these at my Thanksgiving dinner!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

I like so much the texture of cornbread... and as an alternative for rolls, this muffin is perfect!!! I love savory muffins!!! Thanks Meg!

Gloria Chadwick said...

Leftovers here in San Antonio consist of Turkey Tacos.

Krista said...

Oh! Those sound wonderful!

Sara said...

These sound so good, I bet the maple adds a lot of flavor.

Bob said...

Those look awesome, I love cornbread.

I didn't get any leftovers this year! Well, pie, so thats good. But no turkey. Sigh. I would have made turkey and Dorito sandwiches. :)

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Ooh, maple and applesauce in the muffins. I like it. I do love muffins and cupcakes. Thanks for the great recipe.

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

I made these tonight - they are great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Wandering Coyote said...

Mmmm...these look good! I'm bookmarking this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Sounds nice... I'm sure the cornmeal will give these muffins a great texture.

That Girl said...

I love the idea of adding maple!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great idea! I'm always for more bread-y options. :D

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse